Tuesday, June 21, 2011

One in a Million...okay well maybe a hundred.

With the amount of time I've spent on GI Joe, I have racked up quite a few Snake Eyes sketches. Either done as panels in the books,  commissions or quick head sketches,  drawing Snake Eyes has easily topped the hundred mark in 4 years.

My favorite sketch that I've done was actually for the one and only Chuck Dixon (writer for GI Joe and just about every thing else). I did this sketch at a convention in Orlando a few years ago in Chuck's sketchbook. Often fans will have me draw in a sketchbook that they've bought and then collect sketches from artist's filling the book and ending with a bound art collection. (i.e. http://cranboyz.blogspot.com/). Chuck has a similar book, but instead of a character theme, he has a collection of art from professional artists that he has worked with over his 27 years of writing comics.

So in Orlando at the con he sets this Indiana Jones worthy treasure of a book down on my table and asks me to draw in it. I think I hardly answered him "sure thing" in a weak prepubescent voice and started to sweat. I licked my lips, and pulled out a small bag of sand from under the table. I weighed it in my hand thoughtfully, taking a pinch out and weighing it again. Then as swiftly as I could, I traded the bag of sand for the book and high tailed it for my hotel room.

Okay, well that last part is a lie, but I did take the book... and Im pretty sure I was sweaty.

After I flipped through the book of phenomenal artist's sketches I sat thinking about how much I sucked.

Thanks Chuck.

Then I got started. I usually do a quick thumbnail sketch, very tiny, to get the idea of the commission or sketch. I dont know what I was thinking, but the one time I should've had a plan before drawing in a BOUND BOOK, I didnt do any prelim sketch. I just started with an uzi and went from there.

Sidenote: I hope I dont ever have to use that sentence again.


Much to my surprise and delight, this is the sketch I ended up with. I handed it to Chuck the next day and was pleased to see he enjoyed it. There are a few things I would change if I had to do it again, but thats just me being nit picky. Overall, because of who it was for, the book it's in and the drawing itself, this is hands down my favorite Snake Eyes sketch.

2 comments:

  1. That IS an awesome drawing, Robert! I can't really call it a "sketch". I mean, LOOK at it! It could be a cover! And, while there are some great pieces in my ratty old sketchbook, yours stands tall among them as one of my favorites. You have my undying gratitude for it.
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a great story and I have the utmost respect for both you and Mr. Dixon (I've bought your vol.2 Civil War Adventures that I need signed from you!) and can't wait to see what stories you both tell together next!

    ReplyDelete