Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wishful thinking part the third...

Licenced properties. Well, I could have just said Independant comics or "not the big two", (Marvel or DC) but then I decided to touch on the characters that I grew up on and loved! I've actually had the chance to do a few of these in some way. My career goal would be to draw each of these professionally to some extent.

1. GI Joe:  I think I have that one covered. GI Joe was my very first solo comic. Snake Eyes: Declassified #2 and #3. Since then I've either penciled or inked 30 GI Joe comics and have drawn 41 covers!









2. TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, how awesome is it that the craziest idea possible would hit so big. It nailed one of the coolest things about the 80's...Ninjas. Everything else was just extra cheese on the pizza. Awesome character designs, and a whole world of characters to explore. It just struck a vibe with me as a kid. I remember playing with the toys at the school playground during the summer. We would dig holes and set these toy-size death traps. Then play out this huge martial arts fight scene with crazy looking mutants, Foot ninjas and that nutso, ex-jock Casey Jones. Im excited for IDW to have the license to the TMNT comic property now. Definitely check that out when it hits shelves!
Leonardo- My favorite one

Once again colors by the amazing Simon Gough!



3. Transformers: I've only done a couple pages of Transformers. And actually the main Transformers title was offered to me, but I decided to take on the current Snake Eyes title instead. Talk about a stupid-tough decision. Ugh. I would still like the chance to do something on TF though.

This character actually isn't a transformer in the official sense. In fact it's the Muni Public transportation rail in San Diego. I was commissioned by someone with the city to do this. It was the first time I had to work out a transformation and I was hooked. I loved all the detail and trying to figure out how it all works spatially.



4. Thundercats:  I actually don't even have any art to back this up. Which I will be remedying soon. I have a commission and a full week devoted to those citizens of Thundera in July for my daily sketch challenge. The whole week leading up to the new TV show, I will be doing all the main characters! I should be ashamed how pumped I am to draw this....but I'm not.

The new cartoon info!

1-hour series premiere will air July 29, 2011 at 8PM PST/EST ON the Cartoon Network
Then every Friday starting Aug 5 at 8:30PM. 


Mumm-RaaaaaAAAAAAGGGGGH You should put some pants on.




5. Star Wars:  Believe it or not, again, I dont have any art in the world of Lucas. It's a crime really. Nobody has asked me to draw it at a show and I never take time to draw what I want. So again, Im taking this year to drown myself in Star Wars sketches. So be on the look out for a FULL MONTH devoted to Star Wars daily sketches. 


Thanks to Ryan Drost , co-host of the Star Joes podcast http://starjoes.podbean.com/, He gave me a butt-load of Star Wars suggestions! I totally peed myself arranging characters for Sith Week. 




Though the character Im most anxious to draw is Mara Jade Skywalker. She's strictly an E.U. character (Expanded Universe for all you trekkies) , but her design and they way Timothy Zahn built her character up, I've been wanting to draw her for years.



Well, I wish I had more art to show for these, but again.....thats why it's called wishful thinking.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see this project come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out, Robert. Glad I could load you up with Star Wars characters. LOL

    ReplyDelete