Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter Week -Harry and Hedwig

Wrapping up my first themed week with this Harry Potter sketch.
I've always pictured Harry as this younger version when he was 12 or 13. Even as he gets older in the books, this is how I see him in my mind as I read. The Christmas/ winter scenes at Hogwarts are also my favorite. Not sure why, but I think because of the visuals of the snow and it's contrast to the architecture and black robes of the students.


This is my first 90 min. sketch and it's probably obvious most of that time was spent on the Hogwarts background. I actually really enjoy that kind of detail, but this was a great exercise for me to loosen up. I know this might look detailed, but for me I really had to let go and not rule everything out exactly. I think it's a weird OCD thing with me. So free handing architecture (gasp*) was a great challenge in this sketch. I also wanted to contrast all the line in the background with more suggested shapes with the figures. Because I took the time to draw all the lines in on the architecture, it helps make the figures stand out when I leave out the lines that would define them. i.e. the top of Hedwig's wing.  Also I wanted to focus on the composition and play with positive and negative space.... blah, blah, blah.

I dont know if that interests anyone, but for me it was a worthwhile sketch for the day. And I just barely got it in on time again. Im going to have to get back on an earlier schedule, these sketches are supposed to be relaxing compared to my deadlines. But lately that midnight hour is creeping in on me.

Harry Potter Week - Harry and Hedwig - 011


Original art - NFS

3 comments:

  1. The looser look suits you well - this looks great! There's an energy in loose if you know how to do tight, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing your thoughts, Robert. Thanks! - one of Laura's friends from high school

    ReplyDelete