Monday, August 22, 2011

The Power of YOUTH!

Now for something completely different! So this is where I'm sure I'll find out the kind of people who read my blog, heh. I had enough Naruto suggestions that I've put together another theme week for all these guys.

My Robot week was kind of strung out, I usually won't run these so close together. I needed to make sure I started this today though so I could be sure to be done by the end of the month. I have a very special theme Im running ALL through September....wait for it.....wait for it.... X-MEN THEME MONTH! A whole month devoted to my favorite Marvel property. But we'll get to that soon enough.

With Naruto, I started watching the series a couple years ago online and watched the show as the dubbed version was released. I watched through 90 episodes and took a break. Since then I had a chance to borrow the seasons and watched through all 10 seasons recently. At that point Naruto ends and a new show Naruto Shippuden begins with the characters 2 and a half years later. So they've all grown a bit, they've learned new skills and they've all updated their uniforms. For me the 2 coolest things about this show is the over all look for one, and how the story explores ninja abilities or Jutsu.

I've always like the character designs. How each character is very unique while keeping to a visual theme throughout. The Justsu is such a cool idea showing how ninja can have superhuman abilities making this practically a superhero cartoon with what the characters can do.

My only complaint about the show and property in general is it takes literally dozens of episodes to conclude plots. That typical eastern style of storytelling can drag on at times.


Art wise, even if you could care less about Naruto, and Im sure there are plenty of you that are reading this,  I'm at least having fun drawing in a different style. That's good practice as well. At times for work I've needed to draw "on model" or in the same style as a given property. It's good for me to practice that every once in a while. For this sketch, as I will do the whole week, I'll show you both the Naruto and Shippuden versions of the characters.

First up:

Naruto Week: ROCK LEE - 047


Rock Lee is by far the weirdest looking dude in the show. He just has crazy eyes, huge eyebrows, and terrible hair, but he just seems to grow on you. It gets to the point where you're really rooting for this character. 


Original Art for Sale - $30 + $6 shipping
9x12 Ink on Bristol Board.
To Purchase, email subject "Rock Lee" to 
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com

1 comment:

  1. That was a lot of words to say,
    "I have a very special theme Im running ALL through September....wait for it.....wait for it.... X-MEN THEME MONTH! A whole month devoted to my favorite Marvel property."

    ReplyDelete