Monday, August 15, 2011

Robo-techno Music

If Daft Punk could transform into jets and shoot crazy missiles at you, I'm pretty sure it would sound awesome!

I wasn't quite old enough to catch Robotech when it was on tv. I had always heard about it, and I know there are many derivative properties that owe a lot to the Macross Saga. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I finally was able to see the entire series. It was fantastic and everything that I thought was cool about the giant robot anime shows.

I thought it was interesting that the Valkyrie fighters (name of the giant robots that could transform into jets) had a middle mode of transformation. This half jet, half humanoid robot seem weird to me at first. But I realized that  in this half mode they had the thrust of the jet but could shoot in any direction with their arms free. Pretty brilliant design really.

This is really a sketch. I decided on this middle mode because it is so different than the other anime robot designs I will be doing. I would love to finish this, but I've got some deadline work that needs done and I could only afford to spend 30 min on this. I didnt want to spend time on details, because I may still ink this. Instead I spent time on making sure proportion and the details were correctly placed.

Very fun to do!

Robotech - 040

SOLD
Email me with "Robotech" in the subject line
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com

4 comments:

  1. This is so cool. I really like seeing the "sketchy" side of you. I remember waking up at 5:30am to watch Macross. Some brilliant program director at the TV station thought that would be the best time to air it. I used to record it on my tape recorder so I could listen to it all day. I AM NERD. xoxo Dove

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Now I have the Robotech theme music stuck in my head (which is not necessarily a bad thing)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice blog, I enjoy my stay here, keep up the good work and make more interesting content for your readers, here I found some good sample packs:
    http://www.lucidsamples.com/36-dj-samples-packs

    ReplyDelete