Monday, August 1, 2011

Zorak, Please...

Back to my normal schedule of the random sketch per day. With the help of my friend Matt, we've worked it out on a calendar where all the theme weeks are, and there are usually two per month. In between the theme weeks I have a very random selection of characters to choose from. I love this method, I just get to pick who Im most in the mood for.

And seriously with that list in front of me, how could you not be in the mood for Space Ghost. One of the best designs...EVER. What a great character.

For the sketch today I wanted to do a fun star field. I don't get to ink that often with my work. The occasional cover, maybe. But this is a fun technique when you need stars to represent outer space. Inking in every one of those white dots would be forever, to ink black around a bunch of drawn circles would be ridiculous.

1 Jar of White Acrylic paint + 1 "used and now discarded" toothbrush + a flicking motion = Stars!

When you get those accidental big blobs then you just take a brush and do some quick lines out of them and they look like their shining.  Fun to do.

Anyway, this just took right at 60 min. A blast to do. If nothing else, I think doing this challenge will help me speed up at my convention sketches.

Space Ghost - 026
Original Art for Sale - $60 + $6 shipping
9x12 Ink on Bristol Board.
To Purchase, email subject "Space Ghost" to 
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com

3 comments:

  1. Robert,

    This is the "toughest" looking Space Ghost I've ever seen. Awesome piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a regular series, serious comic with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, I want this so bad! Where is my birthday present!? :P

    ReplyDelete