Friday, September 16, 2011

Who needs Milk....Hey Jason Aaron, Got Mystique?

I've actually really liked the Mystique character. I've never been a huge fan of villians, but Mystique is a very versatile character. For obvious reasons, you can literally make her be anyone. I've liked her most though in the Sean McKeaver run of the self-titled Mystique book. She seemed like a cool superspy type character, on top of all her history. Another more classic version of Mystique I like was in the Jason Aaron Wolverine arc titled "Get Mystique" This story was drawn by the amazing Ron Garney, certainly worth the  $6 you can get it for at Instock Trades.

This sketch just kept evolving. It started with the pose for her, I was going for something a little more challenging. Even in my sketches I like to try and tell a bit of story when possible. It made me think if I got to draw a Mystique title how would I render her transitions to other forms? This would be fun to experiment with more for sure.

X-Men Month: Villains - Mystique - 074


I took a bit longer on this one because of the extra figure, hence the price bump. 

Original Art for Sale - $75 + $6 shipping
9x12 Ink on Bristol Board.
To Purchase, email subject "Mystique" to



6 comments:

  1. I think this one in particular will really pop once Simon colors it up. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easily one of my favourite comic book villianesses, I love Mystique. You did a fantastic job here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another super great sketch!!!!Oh so tempting........ If i wasn't going to vegas in two weeks i would probably have bought this. Are you going to make a print of this once it is coloured?????? Please???
    Cheers
    Lee-Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee-Erin, hey, if you do well in Vegas I have an idea....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trip got pushed till the 19th of oct. If i do well in vegas i have lots of ideas..... Quick question Robert have you ever thought about going to the Emerald city comic-con in Seattle? I realize it would be a bit of a stretch to get there but it is actually a pretty good con.(i went last march and think i am going back)
    Cheers
    Lee-Erin

    ReplyDelete