Thursday, October 27, 2011

Castlevania Week....or atleast a condensed version

Im excited to do a theme week revolving around the time of year. I've never been really big into Halloween, except to trick or treat or put together fun costumes. Anyone who knows me can tell you how much of a pansy I am when it comes to creepy movies, zombies, ghost stories...basically anything that would scare a 5 year old. So pretty easy to understand why I don't dive into the whole Halloween vibe.

My friend Quinn Johnson, (creator of Elders of the RuneStone, and comic writer) is a Castlevania Fanatic. I don't use that term lightly, as quickly as I would pee myself by watching a zombie movie, Quinn pees himself each time a new Castlevania game is released. 

He has written up a pretty amazing treatment for a new Castlevania story and I was eager to do some character designs for it. While I haven't played many of the games, I always enjoyed the concept art and the look of the series. So for the next few days I will be posting my character designs that Quinn will be using for his treatment!

First up...

Castlevania Week: Death - 116

“The nations of the world would have fallen beneath your feet, but you’ve thrown it all away. And for what? The humans?! Greedy, frail, wretched creatures, their lives as meaningless and fleeting as a candle’s flame.”

I just rambled on....pretty incoherently about a character I don't know. For a more capable description here are Quinn's comments on Death:

"Death has appeared in nearly every game in the Castlevania series as one of the last major bosses. With his creepy sickles flying at you from every corner of the room, plus his nightmarish transformations, he’s almost always been a really scary foe to take on. I’ve always been intrigued by the question of who, or what exactly he is? Has he always been the eternal entity of legend, or did he become what he is? Perhaps not knowing is one of the factors that makes him so cool.

As Dracula’s advisor and confidant, he’s refined and cunning, but is also an undead monstrosity who enjoys slaying his victims and tormenting their souls—an intriguing juxtaposition. Another thing about Death that makes him so interesting is that not only is he Dracula’s right-hand man, but he’s also his close friend. The idea of Dracula having a “friend” at all when everyone else is either a victim, foe, or mere minion is a fascinating concept."

Thanks Quinn, you are far more intelligent than I.
This portion of Quinn's Comments has been sponsored by

You can check out Quinn's work and current projects there!



Original Art for Sale - $60 + $6 shipping
9x12 Ink on Bristol Board.
To Purchase, email subject "Death" to

6 comments:

  1. (Head explosion) Looks awesome! I love the look of the scythe, and the swirling skulls. And the creepy, drippy tendrils of his cloak are AWESOME! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY!! I'm a big fan of the games(specially the old ones)and it would be a dream come true for me to do a Castlevania comic!!! now I'm really intrigued by your friend's treatment!
    (I'm actually in the middle of doing some comic samples based on Castlevania) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it an interesting concept that "Death" is the immortal Vampire Dracula's friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sort of trippy to think that Dracula would have a homeboy, but he did have a wife! Which is actually a trippier thought, but no less adorable.

    That is easily one of the most badass pictures of Death I've ever seen <3

    ReplyDelete