Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Pirate's life for me....yarrrrr.

Today's contribution to Castlevania week is Trevor's trusty side kick Grant. I didn't have much to go on for this guy, and I read up his character description. Then I realized I've never drawn a pirate before!?! This was a blast to do, I hope it seems true to his character. But I think Quinn will be the judge of that.

As far as the sketch goes, it was a fun fabric study. Often with Superhero books its just drawing guys in spandex, so this kind of switch in genre is a fun change of pace!

Castlevania Week: Grant - 118


“What can I say? I’ve got a way with sharp things you throw to kill other things.”


I just rambled on....pretty incoherently about a character I don't know. For a more capable description here are Quinn's comments on Grant:

"I love this guy. A roguish pirate adventurer, his first appearance was in “Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse,” where he started off as a possessed monster boss that joined you once the spell was broken. He was easily the favorite companion: he was very fast and jumped really far, plus he could scale any wall or ceiling and toss knives and axes from wherever he was perched. This mobility opened up whole new worlds in platforming gameplay.
 I always pictured him as a cocky yet still slightly insecure bloke who always has something witty and hilarious to say. The Wii game “Castlevania: Judgment” captured this personality beautifully, and in my comic book treatment the trend continues. His smart-alecky comments are a great counterpoint to Trevor’s more “stuffy” attitude. But like the other heroes, he’s got some terrible tragedy in his past that he’ll have to face."

This Portion of Quinn's comments is sponsored by
Check out Quinn's work and projects there.


Original Art for Sale - $60 + $6 shipping
9x12 Ink on Bristol Board.
To Purchase, email subject "Grant...or just Pirate" to



No comments:

Post a Comment