Monday, October 10, 2011

Red Vs. Blue part 2

Batman week kick-off!

I've been excited to do Batman week, because it's been a long time since I've had the chance to draw many of these characters. Some of them I've never been able to before. Honestly I was always hesitant to draw Batman because he was so dark. I wasn't confident in my shadow work and taking my figures beyond just dramatic lighting to graphic blacks. Where the blacks on the page not only signify the light sources, but are major components of the composition. Using the large black areas to move the eye through the illustration or to create points of focus for the viewer. It's a complex concept that I was intimidated by. Im not saying I have that down by any means, but it's something I know I can improve on. Certainly Batman Week is as good a place as any to start.

First off, we've seen this sketch a few times now, but again I wanted to show process. Nightwing's costume has been revised recently to this red version. I was such a fan of the previous Blue version, that I did just a very quick overlay to see the difference.  So pipe in and let me know which you prefer!

Nightwing Red vs. Blue - 099

Final Marker Colors




Added Blue in Photoshop for the comparison
Initial sketch
Made some adjustments and added background for the ink stage.




7 comments:

  1. I liked Grayson as Nightwing more than Batman and the light blue in the uniform always kept him light hearted where the red makes him look darker with a harder edge. Don't get me wrong I like them both but the light blue is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue is Nightwings color. Period. The new design and color make him look like a bad guy or at least like he's not playing by the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta go with the blue. The red in the mask (eyes?) looks demonic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always liked the Blue for Nightwing. I don't mind the red that he is sporting now. It has a kind of Batman Beyond look to it, but if I had to pick between the two I would go with the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue for Nightwing, but I like the red in this one -- especially in the eyes. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. blue nightwing is classic. so awesome, he's my fave.

    ReplyDelete