Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cornell...

Unfortunately this is a character I really don't know much about. This whole week has really motivated me to try out the newer games that I haven't played yet and find more stories about the property.

Due to my ignorance I asked Quinn what Cornell should look like.  He said he preferred the version without armor, and just make him look all wolfed out and ferocious. I think I had only drawn a werewolf once before while I was in school, so this was a great exercise abstracting anatomy and proportions to get the effect I wanted. One thing that was hard was finding much reference for this version of him without the armor. At any rate this was actually a quicker sketch for me than the others. I just had a clear idea in my head before I started what I wanted this to look like. That always helps.

Castlevania Week: Cornell - 123


I just rambled on without knowing ANYTHING about the character. For a more capable description here are Quinn's comments on Cornell:

"Cornell’s primary appearance is in the Nintendo 64 game “Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness” where he is the main hero. Werewolves are automatically cool; good-guy werewolves who tear through Dracula’s undead minions are super-cool. A member of a man-beast tribe, he returns home from a year of training to find his village burning and his young sister Ada missing. His moody, atmospheric quest to Dracula’s castle to save her is enthralling, where confrontations and plot twists slowly reveal him to be one of the most complex characters in the series.

An interesting note is that in the Wii game “Castlevania: Judgment,” his background is tweaked so that the lycanthrope of his tribe is considered a “curse” that he longs to be rid of. Personally, I just consider this an “alternate” take on his character, with his Nintendo 64 adventure the more canonical of the two."



This Portion of Quinn's comments is sponsored by
Check out Quinn's work and projects there.


All the Castlevania characters and property is copyrighted to Konami!
You can support the company that started it all by 
liking their Facebook page and 
following @Konami  on twitter!


Original Art for Sale - $60 + $6 shipping
9x12 Ink on Bristol Board.
To Purchase, email subject "Cornell or Werewolf" to



1 comment:

  1. After careful consideration, I would definitely not like to meet this guy in a dark alley.

    ReplyDelete