Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cobra Commander....Revealed!!!

Tomorrow GI JOE and Cobra books will ship from IDW publishing revealing the new Cobra Commander.
I had the awesome job of working with Hasbro and IDW in creating a design for the new Commander after a brutal Cobra Civil War to find a new leader. I will post more soon so as not to spoil anything.

However, if you do want spoilers.....there is a fantastic USA Today article that ran today that shows his new look colored up and give a lot of background info for the new Cobra Commander.

Here were my finished turnarounds that I submitted for his final design. I will show some work up sketches soon!

Cobra Commander Redesign - 155
Finished Inked Turnarounds

Initial pencil stage

Second stage adding the rear view, Inking begins


The first collected books of the Cobra Civil War crossover have started coming out this month. You can get 30% off my first run on IDW"s SnakeEyes#1-4 , and the other first volumes of GI Joe and Cobra, here on 



Original art for Cobra Commander Turnaround 
SOLD!

Art is 11x17, Ink on Bristol Board
For serious inquiries to purchase art email me at
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com


16 comments:

  1. Love the new CC look. Fantastic job. Glad to see that you got the "call" to do the redesign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is THE best Cobra Commander design I have ever seen. Now if only we knew who that was under the mask, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply awesome! I hope Hasbro makes a figure of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it.

    You know what would making CC even better? If he was carrying a lightsaber and wearing a Santa Claus hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im pretty sure that makes everyone better, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DOH! I'd wondered if you were going to sell these. Guess I should have emailed sooner. ;-) Congrats on getting the chance to redesign such an iconic character. (And doing a fine job of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah these go quick. Im just about to sell the cover that was featured in the article, didnt know if you were interested?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How much input did Hasbro have into his design?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so good. I have enjoyed and shared your sketchbook that I purchased at the NC Comicon. Quality is this website. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. More than any other redesign I've done, and not surprising since he's such a central figure. It mostly came down to the helmet designs, I went through a gauntlet of version of that. Over all it was a fun and pretty easy process working through it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry I missed out on these, but I kept my vow to stay away from the Internet till I read the book. Great design, love the guns on the back of the belt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple poetry Robert. Proportions are absolutely precise. Excellent work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AAAAAwesome! But we already knew to expect this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the update without a huge departure from what we know him to look like...like the movie....grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  15. They should use this design in the movies.

    ReplyDelete