Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Commander's Right hand lady...

You know...you have to give credit to Cobra Commander, He sure know's how to pick a second in command. From the beginning of the IDW run on GI Joe, I've been lucky to have had the chance to tell stories with the Baroness all throughout. She is one of the characters in the GI Joe property that has a Very distinct look. Almost like she was cast as an actress back in the early 80's and if you don't capture that just right, then you missed the mark and it just looks like a double in a Baroness outfit. I struggled with it early on as I realized this, and every time I had to draw her it took me 2 or 3 tries. I think my favorite drawing of her that I've done was for this cover to GI Joe #16.



Colors by Andrew Crossley.
     

This was before we had even seen the original IDW Cobra Commander, and he was communicating with the Baroness through a video device. I went with that idea as if the device was monitoring her in multiple ways. I actually took the time to draw each of those little panels, because I wanted them just right. Instead of copying the main image over and over. I really liked how Andrew colored up those panels to give them a cool look and variety, especially the x-ray.

Over the course of the last few years, I have drawn quite a few Baroness commissions and sketches. For whatever reason though I had never really drawn her in her original costume, until I got to do this turnaround.

Baroness Turnaround - 167

Pencils

Finished inks

 Now, I'm not saying this is the definitive Baroness. I don't know that I'm capable of that. But there is something to be said about her original costume. It still holds up today nearly 30 years later, and you certainly can't say that about every GI Joe design.

Original Turnaround Art
11x17 Ink on Bristol Board


For some classic Baroness stories, IDW published a "Best WORST of Baroness" collection.
You can find it here at INSTOCK TRADES for 30% off!

For Questions and Comments email me at 
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com


4 comments:

  1. Daniel LOVES that cover! Dig seeing the round glasses in the turnaround.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I really can't wait to see what you do for my Baroness commission!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit she is my all time 2nd fave bad woman of comics.( Mystique being #1). This is saying alot since there have been many great bad women of comics.
    Cheers
    Lee-Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff but my favourtie pic is the banner at the top of this page.

    ReplyDelete