Monday, January 9, 2012

JLA - Birds of Prey

So yes, technically this is JLA month. However these two JLA members are also on an all girls team call Birds of Prey. For a long time it was Black Canary, the Huntress, and Oracle (Barbara Gordon, formally Batgirl) This is all before their recent reboot this last fall. I actually wanted to draw the Huntress for my Batman week back in Nov. since she is considered an extended member of the "Bat-Family" and my favorite DC Heroine,  but couldn't get to it. Looking at the roster of Justice League members, I remembered that these two ladies were both active JLA!

As it turns out I had to do a Birds of Prey commission, and man has this guy been patient with me. This is for the ever-enduring Andrew Wilson over in Manchester, UK. I actually got this commission request from Andrew over at the 11 O'Clock Comics Podcast message boards. The podcast is a great roundtable show about comics and I've gotten to be acquainted with the hosts over the last few years. Well Andrew, got a hold of me and asked for a convention style commission with at least 2 of the Birds of Prey characters. Then he waited, and waited. So I went all out on this one for him, I sure hope you dig it man.

This commission also gave me the chance to try some new rendering on reflective textures on the women's outfits. The background was more of an afterthought, but I thought I should put them in some kind of environment. I used Copic multi-liner tech pens all throughout. Mostly size 1.0, then .05 and .03 for the refined lines on some of the rendering and tight details. I used a PITT brush pen to fill in the blacks through out the piece.

JLA Jan. - Black Canary and Huntress - 189





Original Art - Ink on Bristol Board
11x17


And if that wasn't enough, I want to announce that I will be having
 Kyle Ritter, DC Comics Colorist, work with me this month bringing these sketches to
life with his colors.

Be sure to check out his Deviant Art Gallery!
Here are the first two: Firestorm and Dr. Fate!




For available Prints and prices email me at
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com

7 comments:

  1. The background details are stunning, Robert. Andrew's a very luck guy.

    Look forward to seeing the other JLA pieces colored. That Firestorm is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Firestorm looks AWESOME!!! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert

    Greetings from the UK!

    Just wanted to say thank you so muchfor this and to let you know how much I love the piece and appreciate the time and effort you've put in here.

    Kind regards


    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      @Andrew

      Were you recently in Wa. State? Perhaps in Ocean Shores?
      tfranson@hotmail.com

      Delete
  4. Glad you likeit mate! It will be on its way to you very shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert, when you created the background, did you use any specific reference or just create it organically as you frame the characters?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The backgrounds are completely non referenced. Its just a short hand version of a city scape to fill space. Mostly Im just filling compositional areas to balance the piece where there might need to be heavy blacks in some areas and open space in others. Also keeping a variety of design to the buildings is key.

    ReplyDelete