Sunday, January 22, 2012

JLA -Etrigan the Demon...

Today's sketch is for a good friend and a co-host of the DC Noise podcast, Mike Myers. The Demon hasn't historically been a long term member of the JLA, just on and off for the last 10 years, but he definitely adds a different dynamic to the team. The character was designed by Jack Kirby back in the 70's. He has interesting mystical roots, including being half brother to Merlin the Wizard.

For the sketch I just did the pencils for today. I wanted to go all out on this for Mike and couldnt spare more time for today, so I'll finish it up tomorrow. Plus it's a chance to show process for these sketches. This underdrawing is done with a 4h lead. I scanned in the light drawing and then multiplied the layers to darken the pencils. Then I pull up the levels and adjust the contrast to clean it up a bit.

JLA Jan. - Etrigan the Demon - 202


Original Art
9x12 pencil on Bristol Board

For Questions and Comments email me at
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com

3 comments:

  1. I've never been that much of a Demon fan, but these pencils are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a definitive Demon story? I've been enjoying him in Demon Knights, but I haven't a lot of experience with him otherwise; just an appearance here-and-there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work ... I´m inker and I did it here!

    http://nanquilizador.blogspot.com/2012/02/etrigan-inks.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete