Thursday, February 9, 2012

Snake Eyes #9 Cover...

Starting with the cover to issue #9 I got to start doing images based on the interior story. Previously the covers were more "iconic" or a stand alone shot of SnakeEyes looking cool, or posing cool. Finally I got to draw him actually DOING something cool. Like taking on a 10 foot mech with just a sword and a knife.

Now look, I know it's a bit ridiculous, but for me I revel in it! I'm not saying I want Snake Eyes to be indestructible or infallible, but I think it's a common consensus that he's the most skilled and deadly GI JOE. For the cover, not only do I get to draw a flippin' awesome ninja, but I get to draw big robots! For me it doesn't get better.

I've often wondered what it would have been like to work on Transformers instead of GI JOE, and while I think I would enjoy it, I would need to do a few test pages first. I like to draw a lot of detail, but page after page of it takes a very specific kind of artist. At least with this cover, I got to draw the big robot, but what really makes it stand out is that it's framed with the jungle and all kinds of organic textures. I liked the idea of the cover from the begining, a classic David vs. Goliath, Ninja vs. Robot, Machine vs. Nature...it goes on and on!

Snake Eyes #9 Cover Process - 220

Options A and B that I sent to the Editors John and Carlos. We all liked A, but I wanted to change SE's pose.

I didn't really have a penciled stage here. I sketched in the basic shapes then just started inking. I needed to save time.

Once again Simon does a bang up job on the colors and really makes this come to life!



If you haven't had the chance, Vote on the poll to the left of the blog for your favorite entry in the
Click on the link to see the Cobra Commander entries to vote on!

Thanks to you Contestants for participating!!!


Also a very special Thanks to Joe Customs and 
for supporting the contest and my blog! 

Also Thanks to General's JoesHisstank, and ENI.com 
For spotlighting the contest!

Check out the other fantastic displays at  4 Corner Concepts
the Awesome will make your head explode!!!


6 comments:

  1. Gotta say, I love option B too. It's got a great David vs Goliath feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah there is something for that lone character flying through the air attacking something seemingly indestructible. That can happen where I like both sketches and only get to do one. However some times I can recycle the cover sketches, but I doubt I'll be drawing this scenario again, so I thought I could show both, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the way you draw all the Joe characters. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool cover Robert! I used to be way into Battletech back in the day and this is like the of both worlds. SE would totally take that 'mech apart! Also, I love the contrast between the 'mech and the jungle. Again, great work!

    --Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only a really cool take on the subject (Man v. Machine, etc), but I like the minor redesign of the 'Mech. If the toys had two chain guns instead of gimmicky spring launchers, I might've bought more.

    ReplyDelete