Friday, February 24, 2012

Snake Eyes AND Storm Shadow new IDW title!

There are a few cool things happening with this issue. #13 which comes out later this spring. First off, it's a two part cover, the second half of this cover is with Snake Eyes as a single figure facing off against the Storm Shadow from this cover. So I got to both Cover A and Cover B this time. It also marks my 50th and 51st consecutive GI JOE cover since IDW relaunched the title back in 2009! It's a very cool thing to be a part of, and something I am really proud to have been a part of.  I had never drawn many covers before working for IDW. There has really been a learning curve to what makes a good cover, or possibly a great cover stand out. I'm not gonna say  I nailed it, I know I have a lot to learn still. But I have learned along the way, and for me it's good chronicle to see where I was as an artist 3 years ago, and hopefully an indication of where I still have to improve.

Also this will be the issue that Im back on interiors and Im excited for that as well. Chuck Dixon has a really great hook to get the book going right from the first pages. It's a close examination of the Snake Eyes/ Storm Shadow brotherhood/friendship/rivalry that hasn't been shown in the IDW books yet. This is really what I was hoping to get to be a part of when Chuck and I were first talking to IDW about it nearly 2 years ago.

For this cover in particular IDW specifically asked that I didn't draw a background because they were doing a theme across all their GI JOE books this month of a single character against white. Depending on the cover stock, it might make for cool sketch opportunities to fill in around the characters...hmmm.

Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow #13 - 235

Final cover read for print!

Pencils/ Layout for IDW approval
Inks over pencils, Using a Brush, and Copic Multiliner pens

Final Colors by Simon Gough, and for approval to IDW and Hasbro.


3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the milestone issue! Great work as always!

    ~Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great!! That would be an awesome poster too!

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete