Sunday, March 4, 2012

Smiley...Also crazy, but in a different way...

Another one of the bad guys for our Elders of the RuneStone Story is this character Smiley. By far one of the creepier characters that I've worked on. He's the leader of a gang of henchmen in Darkhan City, and one of the first major challenges we see our main character's face.

When it came to designing the character, Quinn described his skull like facemask and basically said make him as creepy as you can. Well, we all know how I'm not into creepy, so my first few attempts were considerably lame. Quinn gave me a bit of direction and I did another sketch or two narrowing it down. I set it aside for awhile and worked on other designs. Finally I sat down and did this quick sketch, without trying so hard or thinking about it too much. Sure enough, I nailed it as soon as I turned my brain off and just went to drawing. I then took that initial head sketch and worked out the rest of his body and outfit details. He's visually now one of my favorite reoccuring characters that the main kids have to deal with throughout RuneStone!

Elders of the RuneStone - SMILEY- 244





Again, the focus this week is to spotlight this awesome property I've had a chance to be a part of for years. In just 2 days we'll be launching a Kickstarter Campaign to help fund the first 4 issue arc. We are well under way with the art, and Quinn has the story written and done (for literally the next 30+ issues). I will post a link as soon as the Kickstarter page is live and you can check out all the great rewards you'll receive for pledging towards the project! 

You can find out more about the series here at the RuneStone website





For Questions and Comments email me at:
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com



1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to know more about this character since I first saw him in your sketchbook--I didn't know if he was just some kind of one-off character or if he was major and recurring. Glad to see it's the latter! I absolutely love the look of him! One thing's for sure, great heroes need great villians, and the more you show us about this world you guys have created, the greater it all looks!

    --Tim

    ReplyDelete