Sunday, April 29, 2012

Avengers April Mockingbird...

This is a character I've only recently found out about as she was reintroduced to the Marvel Universe after the Secret Invasion storyline. Her and Hawkeye had quite a bit of history as a couple during the run on West Coast Avengers, but that was before I was really reading Marvel comics so regularly. Back when that book was running, apparently Mockingbird died, which was obviously a tough break for Hawkeye and something he had to deal with.

 Then there was a big reveal that Mockingbird was actually alive this whole time and simply prisoner in the hands of the extraterrestrial, shape-shifting race called the Skrulls. To be honest...I couldn't have really cared. But that was due to my own ignorance, and I'm sure it meant a lot to other fans.

The next time I really took notice of Mockingbird, it was in this new costume and as a member of the New Avengers. The Wrecking Crew, a reoccurring group of villains for the Avengers, attacked the team with a device that nullified their powers and made them delirious. One of the coolest moments was when Mockingbird was the only team member left standing simply because she had no powers for this device to effect. Because of her agility and fighting skills she then went toe-to-toe fending off the Wrecking Crew to protect her team. It was a great moment and I really took notice.

Even though for me, she's a relatively new character, she's quickly become one of my favorites.

Avengers April - Mockingbird - 299

I initially found some reference where she had a gun, but I think I'll switch that out in the inks for another baton.
There are a few other tweaks to make as well. I'll post the inks tomorrow with the changes.

For Questions and Comments email me at
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment