Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Avengers April Thor Inks...

Alright moving on to the inks on Thor. This is of course his classic costume. Because I really didn't get into Thor until more recently, I personally prefer his newer costume. I really do appreciate this design made so recognizable by Walt Simonson. I also loved the run by Dan Jurgens and John Romita JR back in the 90's.

I remember looking at a pencil sketch of Thor that JRJR did that was published in a Wizard Magazine. It was right before he took on the Thor book and I just stared at that sketch over and over. How simple the line work was, and how he captured the mass of the body really struck something in me. I was still in high school learning how to draw and that sketch made a distinct impression on me.

As for Walt, man I love that dude. He would come down to the Savannah College of Art and Design on a  regular basis and do seminars and portfolio reviews with us. Such an incredibly great and humble creator. Him and his wife Louise both are simply fantastic! I recently bought the Marvel Omnibus that includes over 60 issues of Walt's Thor. That book is HUGE...I'm pretty sure if you tripped and hit your head on it, you'd be dead.

So anyway, on to the inked sketch!

Avengers April - Thor Inks - 295



I'll be wrapping up Iron Man and the rest of the background tomorrow!

If you want to pick up the run on Thor that I mentioned earlier, I
NSTOCK TRADES offers 30-40% off with free shipping for orders over $50
If you're getting the Thor Omnibus that retails for $125, you'll be covered!


For Questions or Comments email me at:
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com



2 comments:

  1. Love Simonson's Thor too, but the Omnibus has 47 issues, not over 60 :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. oop, you're right there isn't 60. I was kind of generalizing and didnt count them up. So maybe you'd just be knocked unconscious instead of dead.

    ReplyDelete