Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Mighty Men and Monster Maker....

Jeff Morris is the guy who runs the Project Comic Con down in St. Louis. He had a fantastic idea for a Jam piece by some of the artists who came as guests to the show. He had an old toy called the "Mighty Men and Monster Maker"





The idea of this toy is there are these 3 plastic pieces that have a raised ridge of plastic in the form of various Superheroes and Monsters. The yellow pieces were various heads, the orange were assorted torsos and the red were the collection of different legs. You could either match together the three pieces that formed a complete image or you could mix and match to create new creatures.


After choosing your combination you place the tiles on the left so they would fit together in a 5x7 vertical opening. You would lay a blank piece of paper over the tiles and lower a hinged frame that dropped down over the tiles to keep them and the paper from moving.


Once it was all set, you could take a pencil or crayon and do a rubbing over the paper and the raised ridges would show you just the lines of your Mighty Man or Monster!


So Jeff's commission was to give the artists this toy, let us create our own montster. Then with the rubbing we created, use that as reference to do our own sketch on a jam piece. I chose a Mummy head, a Creature from the Black Lagoon torso, and Frankenstein legs. 

Mighty Men and Monster Maker sketch - 339


I wish I had remembered to keep the rubbing I made, that thing was cool.

Here is the final jam piece with Craig Giarrusso, Joe Dodd, Me, Mike Mckone and Kenneth Rocafort


One of the best ideas for a convention sketch jam that I've had the pleasure of being a part of!

For Questions and Comments email me at
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com



7 comments:

  1. OMG, I had that thing! It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that toy, too! Or one of its variants (there were a few, I think). I love the creativity you and the other artists brought to the "designs".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I still had mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Yeah! I loved this toy! Hours of fun and creative magic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me want to look for one of these on ebay, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had that!!! I totally forgot I had it Blimey!! I may still have it somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...And great combo Robert! If they reimagined that kit you should put your name forward. Loving all of them :)

    ReplyDelete