Thursday, August 16, 2012

BlackBolt....

Recently Bart Sears, an amazing veteran comic artist, has been doing daily sketches on his facebook page. I'm constantly amazed at his ability to capture the figure with quick marker sketches. Bart did a regular drawing tutorial article called "Brutes and Babes" during the 90's in Wizard Magazine. That article really opened my eyes to comic figure anatomy. I was still in high school and realizing that I really wanted to draw comics as a profession. His article was my first introduction to any kind of instruction into drawing comics.

In more recent years I've had the chance to meet Bart at various conventions. He's been gracious enough to review and critique my work a number of times. Each time he taught me something new, and it's still information that I use on a daily basis with my figure drawing in comics.

I was able to get one of his daily sketches from his Facebook page and his work has really been on my mind lately. With out realizing it, I think it influenced my sketch for today. I don't know if Bart knows about or reads my blog at all. But I hope that if he came across it he'd be happy to know how much he's   influenced other artist's in the industry that appreciate his work.

If you want to check out Bart's work, definitely go to his Facebook page, and he also has some great sketchbooks available at his website here: http://ominousstudios.com/emporium/



BlackBolt - 402


This is only the second chance I've had to draw this character. The first was earlier in the blog here,


He really is a distinct character, but as far as I know is still considered dead in the Marvel comics since the "War of Kings" story arc a couple years ago. That's a great outerspace Marvel cosmic story if you get a chance to check it out!

You can get the collected story here at 
INSTOCK TRADES for 40% off!




For Comments and Questions email me at
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com




No comments:

Post a Comment