Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Legend of Korra....

Man, I've been just begging for an excuse to draw some Avatar characters! Especially Korra, the current Avatar of the new Nickelodeon cartoon series. I could go on and on about how incredibly awesome this cartoon is. Long story short, it's a weekly cartoon with a full length animation quality to the show. The character design, the fluid motion and fight choreography, the mythology, music score, intricate backgrounds all come together for an astonishing show.

Korra has quickly become one of my favorite cartoon characters of all time...and that's saying something!




This was a convention sketch and they specifically asked me to draw her in my style instead of mimicking the show model of the character. A very fun exercise.

Avatar Korra - 401



For Comments and Questions email me at
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com

5 comments:

  1. very awesome stuff sir as always. I will have to check this out I have never heard of it. I am behind on my contemporary cartoons. Jilted since most can't compare to GI Joe or He-man

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I know what you mean, it's hard to beat the classics. But this show is simply amazing. I suggest going back and watching the first 3 seasons of Avatar: the Last Airbender. it's on netflix or you can buy the dvd's. Its a very fun show, starts out good, but a little light hearted. By the end of the 3 seasons it gets pretty epic and becomes a serious drama. That will give you much more context for jumping into the current Korra show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome piece! I need to check this out too. I watched the show when it first started and liked it a lot. I need to go back and revisit it and then move onto this. With praise like that coming from you, it must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, The first half of the first season it seems like a really well done kids show. But if you make it that long, you get to know the characters and it just gets better and better. Rarely is there a show or a property that has a very distinct ending, that REALLY pays off. By the end of the 3rd season it is easily a self contained story that has a definitive ending.

    WHat they did with Korra was brilliant. Korra takes place two generations into the future from the point that the first Avatar show ends. So the cast of the first Avatar are grandparents or passed away, and the story is about their children and grandchildren in a more industrial steam punk age.

    If you go back and watch it Tim, you gotta let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert,

    Thanks for the additional background! Two things I love: epic multi-generational story telling and awesome animation. My boys are getting to the point where I think they would dig it too. I will definately let you know. Now just to find the time . . . :)

    ReplyDelete