Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Snake Eyes #16 cover...

It's been a while since my last post. Mostly due to juggling a few projects at once and trying to catch up on commissions.

This was a cover to Snake Eyes that ran on issue #16, the last issue of my arc on the title. It just came out last Wed. I'll still be doing a few upcoming covers and some more interior work is planned for this fall. I'm really excited about what I have coming up. Here are my layouts and line art for the cover.

Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow #16 cover - 408


I really liked options 2 and 3, I wanted to have Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Cobra Commander fading into the black and play off the contrast that is associated with each. It didn't really fit into the story and the shipping schedule. I've really wanted to do a more classic looking Zartan for a while now, and IDW let me do a great fight scene with him and Snake Eyes for the cover. 



An interested side note, both knives that are being wielded by the characters here are designed by Waysun Johnny Tsai. He's a martial arts master and instructor in Chicago that I've had the pleasure of getting to know these last few years while working on GI Joe and Snake Eyes. I first started using the design for his Cuma Tak Ri knife for Snake Eyes with issue #2. Johnny designed a new knife called the Cuma HISS, which is a smaller concealable knife that I have Zartan using here. I always enjoy being able to incorporate actual weaponry in my work, and an even more personable element getting to know the man who designed the weapons!

Check out his Facebook page for updates on his martial arts schools and weapons designs!




Another update, Elders of the RuneStone, a new comic co-created by Quinn Johnson and myself, finally has the first issue wrapped up. The project after getting successfully funded on Kickstarter this last spring has really kicked into gear. We're well into issue #2 and even have quite a few pages done on issue #4 already. So we're moving right along. Our plan is to digitally release the first 5 issues separately near the beginning of the new year, then have a collected trade printed and available for sale some time in 2013.

I've posted quite a bit about RuneStone already on the blog, you can check it out here!



For Questions or Comments Email me at
Robert@RobertAtkinsArt.com

1 comment:

  1. Awesome piece, love this cover! Really glad to hear you'll be back on interiors as well--keep us posted on that!

    ReplyDelete