Sunday, December 7, 2014

Joe-A-Day: Snake Eyes...

When I draw GI Joe there seems to be no shortage of Snake Eyes. I know there are many Joe fans that feel like he's used too much, and there is certainly some truth to that. He's a popular character, and it makes business sense to bank on that popularity for toys, comics etc...

This particular Snake Eyes was a lot of fun, and was an illustration for the GI JOE: Battleground game. Some of you might have seen it there. I really enjoyed this one because it gave me a chance to draw the character in an environment specific uniform and gear (a little shout out for the goggles!). Plus I thought it appropriate for this time of year! Not sure what the creepy skull necklace was for though? Anyone with insight into that?

EDIT: Just got the answer! it's Kwinn's necklace from early on in the GI Joe Marvel comics. Snake Eyes ends up with it. Totally blanked on that one, thanks!

The job only required pencils from me, so unlike most of my other posts this illustration/sketch isn't inked. Right now working on America's Army, I don't have an inker on that project either, so this is about how tightly pencilled all my pages are for that book.

Joe-A-Day: Arctic Snake Eyes - 714


Also a quick shout out, Happy Birthday to my awesome big sister Elaine Atkins-Manley! Check out her Facebook page, it's all kinds of comics and pop-culture goodness!



ALL proceeds from prints and sketchbooks will be donated to Toys For Tots this Christmas! We've already got quite a few SALES in, so hopefully this will all add up to a decent donation on 
Dec 16th!!!


You can check out all the collected trades I've worked on 
and some of my art/sketch books
 here at AMAZING discounts!





For Comments and Questions you can email me at
RobertQAtkins@GMAIL.com


I have a new set of art books titled- " Robert ATKINS Art: Declassified"  They are 60 pages each, full of the black and white sketches that you've seen on my blog these last few years.

I have 3 volumes. Vol. 1 is strictly GI JOE artwork, Vol 2 is MARVEL Comics Characters (X-Men, Avengers, SPIDERMAN, Etc...) and Vol. 3 is DC Comics characters (SUPERMANBATMAN, JLA, etc..) These are for sale, you can simply email me directly and payment is taken through paypal. They are $10 each and $5 flat rate shipping for 1 or all 3. I have these available at the conventions I set up at, but if you can't make the show, you can purchase them through my blog as well. You can email me if you need more details.



4 comments:

  1. That's Kwinn's necklace; Snake Eyes ends up with it during the mission in the comics, I cannot remember why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that 's right, I was totally blanking on that. Well spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God DAMN. I've been a fan ever since I saw those first Snake-Eyes turn-arounds, and I swear I've never seen more detail in your line work! The texture and shading on the gear, the foreshortening of the Uzi; even your body language is better!

    Amazing as always, Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Elaine!
    Elaine and I went to the same High School; she was a freshman when I was a senior. So I already was a fan and wished her a happy birthday.

    You must have went there too, but I was long gone by then.

    Love watching "hometown" folks doing good!

    ReplyDelete