Saturday, October 15, 2016

Cobra Viper...

This was a recent head sketch I did at Salt Lake Comic Con. In my years of going to conventions, I was never very good at quick sketches. Being able to "let go" and not refine every line I put down into a drawing. I justified the obsessive behavior by saying that I didn't want art of an inferior quality represent my work or my business and continued to raise my prices to satisfy the demands of the market and my increased time for all the detail.

Because I literally only had a few minutes to do this Cobra Viper head sketch, it forced me to speed up the process and use a brush pen to throw in the shadow and detail. I'm not doing anything even remotely groundbreaking here, in fact I'm woefully behind the times when it comes to applying this technique to convention sketches to speed up the process. But finally the light bulb went off and I realized a process to help my brain switch off in the need for so much linear precision. I sketched in the head in pencil as I normally would and then immediately put in the contour line with a big fat sharpie!

For whatever reason, that alone let me let go. It was immediately imprecise and inaccurate if you were going to traditionally ink a page, a panel, a cover etc. This was something else. Is it worse than my other hyper detailed drawings....no. I think I found a happy medium  here finally that would allow me to do affordable convention sketches for people that just want a quick, affordable sample of my art. I will still do the over sized hyper detail commission for anyone that wants that and collects that kind of art, but it's refreshing to know I can offer something to another portion of fans.

Fun experiment.

Cobra Viper - 829


You can check out Awesome Comic Books
and some of my art/sketch books
 here at AMAZING discounts!





You can Check out these two volumes of Snake Eyes that I worked on for IDW

1 comment:

  1. Is that Mercer underneath that helmet? I think we need a follow up sketch without the helmet to confirm my suspicion. Nice sketch

    ReplyDelete